The DIY Recording Guys are founders of a podcast and community to help musicians create better DIY recordings.
When the team got in touch with Flare and asked if we’d like to do a podcast with them, we said a resounding yes. The result is a great chat between the guys and Flare CEO Davies Roberts.
Vadim and Ben are two small studio owners who got into recording by being DIY musicians. “We’ve learned a lot about recording along the way and we started the DIY Recording Guys based on a simple premise: We believe that with minimal gear and a bit of knowledge, DIY musicians everywhere can get professional quality recordings. Our goal is to provide that bit of knowledge.”
They’re offering a free eBook called Digital Recording Basics, covering how to get well on your way to producing great sounding recordings, without breaking the bank. See below for the link.
Over to Vadim and Ben…
Every now and then you’ll hear a song or a sound that makes you back into a corner and clench your fists – at least figuratively.
It’s happened to both Ben and Vadim with certain cymbal sounds on albums, the occasional synth solo and even day-to-day sounds like talking to someone on speaker phone. What is it about these sounds that cause such an intense reaction – even at relatively low volume levels? How come we can still enjoy a really loud concert at much higher SPLs without getting that same level of anxiety?
Davies Roberts, founder of Flare Audio, says he can tell you EXACTLY what’s causing this: resonances in the actual structure of your ear which boost certain upper mid frequencies. He and the team at Flare Audio have been working to solve this problem and several other curious conundrums in the world of acoustics and sound.
What does all of this mean for our productions and mixes? Take a listen!
On this episode you will learn:
- About traditional speaker technologies and why they’re less than ideal
- How the ear’s organic structure creates resonant peaks in certain frequency bands and why we aren’t all hearing the same thing
- How the ear’s organic structure is not optimized for hearing what we’re looking at
- About some solutions Flare is developing to solve the issues above
- How this knowledge should or shouldn’t affect our engineering/production decisions
- A bit about hearing loss, tinnitus and the challenges of developing solutions
Where to Find the Guys
Free DIY Recording eBook: www.howtorecordyourband.com
Vadim’s Studio Site – Get your FREE test mix today! – https://calmfrogrecording.com
Benjamin’s Studio Site – https://dreamloudstudio.com